So much can change is such a short amount of time!
Due to absolute idiocy in the Lenoir County School system and moronic principals, the girls are changing schools. Friday was their last day at Northwest. I’m not getting into details because it’s not worth it, but things are slowly working out pretty well.
Tomorrow (Tuesday) will be Riley and Maggie’s first day at their new school, Comfort Elementary School. This school is smaller, better organized and has newer facilities. The biggest plus to this is that they have room for Ella in the More at Four Preschool class. This program is free (big bonus considering her old preschool was $175.00 a month) and it is full day. She’ll be right across the hall from her sisters and be able to ride the bus to and from school if we decide to allow that.
Their new school has a total population of less than 200. The staff is new and very eager to work with the girls. Also, the testing results are better than the other counties. They have received a lot of extra funding for their programs and they don’t seem to have any problems finding the funding for the girls to have the extra assistance they need.
The down side to this is that it is further away. So it will take about 45 minutes to get to school every day. But, we are looking for a new house closer to the school and we think we have found one. Now we’re only waiting for Cory’s VA benefits to come in and we’ll move into Trenton (15 minutes from the girls’ school). I’m not too keen on the whole bus thing after the fiasco we had in Washington, but it seems important to Riley and Maggie so we’ll give it a shot.
We’ve also decided to stop dance classes. It was just way too much for the girls combined with school and we’re debating about what kind of extracurricular activities we will let them participate in. Girl Scouts is a pretty definite yes (assuming we can find a troop in Jones County) and we’re considering joining the YMCA in New Bern (about 20 minutes from our hopefully new house).
Riley and Maggie are now wearing glasses. Turns out Riley is pretty farsighted and Maggie is as well. So, glasses for them. Ella is now whining about wanting glasses, but we’ll get her checked out eventually if she shows signs of actually having vision challenges.
All in all things are ok. I’ve made some amazing friends here. I love them to pieces and they have made all of this stuff bearable. I don’t know what I would do without them. I do miss my Washington friends. I know most have moved on to other places, but they’ll always be my Washington friends. I definitely miss my (now Alaskan friend) stalker, Angel. She is someone that I pray to all high heavens I can see again very soon. (Hopefully I’ll see her this coming summer!) I can’t wait to see her and her beautiful baby Grace. (Due in January!)
I still have my east coast friends that I haven’t caught up with yet. Jacquie, Jill, April, Gibb, April, Kevin, Jamie, Kristen, A.J., Lori, and many more! But, God willing, we’ll get there. We’re hoping to go to South Carolina for Thanksgiving and spend some time with the family down there. Christmas is still undecided, but I have a feeling we’ll be spending it driving to and from other family houses and feeling like the Griswolds’.
But, slowly and surely – we are making N.C. home.


No comments:
Post a Comment